Title and statement of responsibility area
Lake Saskatoon Community Club fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.
Level of description
CA GPR 0540
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Lake Saskatoon Community Club
Physical description area
16.5 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Lake Saskatoon Community Club held its first meeting on February 4, 1927 at the home of Mrs. S. R. Lowe. The first executive consisted of Mrs. Robert Holmes, Mrs. Herbert C. Cooper, Mrs. Albert Smith, Mrs. Ernest Hopkins, Mrs. Levason, Mrs. Grimsrud, Mrs. Cuthbertson, Mrs. Alex B. McDonald, H. B. Jones, Mrs. Hicks, Mrs. Albert E. Smith and Mrs. Lovell. The motto of the Community Club, which was said at the beginning of every meeting, was “To sow gladness of heart, to help one another and to promote the highest welfare of the community, especially the school.” Their first order of business was to provide hot drinks to students attending the Lake Saskatoon School, and they were also concerned with the ventilation of the school and providing it with wash basins and mosquito netting.
The Club quickly began to organize events like community picnics, a social hour, box lunches, and debates. Mending was done for a family who had lost their mother, first born babies were given silver spoons as a welcome, and the Club organized a medical clinic so that children would have the services of a doctor or a nurse. Meetings of the Community Club were held at members’ homes or at the Saskatoon Lake Community Hall.
On August 4, 1977 the Lake Saskatoon Community Club celebrated their 50th anniversary at the Lake Saskatoon Hall. During the meeting, the president of the Club, Melita Hrychiw, was able to welcome back some early club members: Mrs. Alma MacDonald, Mrs. Helen Smith, Mrs. Julia Rainer, Mrs. Paula Uswell, Mrs. Anne Rigby and Mrs. Cora Cooper.
Besides the regular meetings and activities, the Club organized larger projects such as the compilation and publication of "Lake Saskatoon Reflections" from 1974-1980; and the restoration of St. Andrews by the Lake Anglican Church in 1981.
The records were deposited in South Peace Regional Archives by Kathy Sebastian on January 13, 2012. The records had been kept in Club member’s homes and the Lake Saskatoon Community Hall.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minute books from 1927-1981, financial records for 1981 and annual reports from 1928-1985.
The records had been organized before arriving at the archives, and were retained by the archivist in their original order.
Immediate source of acquisition
The records were donated to South Peace Regional Archives by Kathy Sebastian on January 13, 2012.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A finding aid is available at http://southpeacearchives.org/finding-aids/fonds-540-lake-saskatoon-community-club/
No accruals are expected.
Accession number 2012.02
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
South Peace Regional Archives
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Language of description