Lethbridge Northern Irrigation District

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Lethbridge Northern Irrigation District

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Lethbridge Northern Irrigation District was formed in 1919 under the Irrigation Districts Act. It consists of 93,100 hectares of land on the north side of the Oldman River, between Fort Macleod and Turin, Alberta. About 52,600 hectares are irrigable and sugar beets are the major crop, although livestock and other crops are also raised. Construction of the system was completed in 1923, but the diversion works were destroyed that year in an unprecedented flood and had to be rebuilt. Originally managed by elected trustees, the district was administered by a provincial government trustee from 1926 to 1968. L.C. Charlesworth was the official trustee, 1926-1939. Penrose M. Sauder, who had been the LNID project manager from 1925 to 1939, served as official trustee from 1939 to 1965. C.J. McAndrews was official trustee from 1966 until an elected board once again resumed management in 1968. For further information see Just Add Water : The History of the Lethbridge Northern Irrigation District / Deborah F. Gregorash. -- Lethbridge : Lethbridge Northern Irrigation District, 1996.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

glen

Maintained by

Institution identifier

Glenbow Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC