Collection red-2942 - Lorene Frere's St. Ann Ranch Trading Company collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Lorene Frere's St. Ann Ranch Trading Company collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on name of collector and subject of collection

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

RED red-2942

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1990-1994 (Creation)
    Creator
    Frere, Lorene

Physical description area

Physical description

40 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The St. Ann Ranch was established by Armand Trochu in 1903 one mile east of the present town of Trochu, Alberta. In 1905 the ranch was incorporated as the St. Ann Ranch Trading Company Ltd. by Armand Trochu, Joseph Devilder, and Leon Eckenfelder. It was part of a colonization scheme intended to attract immigrants from France. The company was disbanded in 1953. The ownership of the ranch site was sold successively to Edgar Papillard, Ernest and Martha Frere, and Louis and Lorene Frere. Lorene Frere did research on the ranch site initially for a local history book, and later to have the ranch designated as an historic site and to develop the ranch house as a bed and breakfast and teahouse, which began operating in 1989

Custodial history

Scope and content

The collection includes photocopies and transcripts of historic documents relating to the St. Ann Ranch, the town of Trochu, and the French families that initially settled there; includes brochures, news clippings, and magazine excerpts about the St. Ann Ranch Bed and Breakfast

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by Lorene Frere, 1991-1994

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English and French

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access; copyright restrictions may apply

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

No finding aid

Associated materials

The Glenbow Archives, Calgary, also has records of the St. Ann Ranch and Lorene Frere's research collection

Accruals

No additions to the fonds are expected

General note

Record No. MG 277<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres