Title and statement of responsibility area
Menno Bible Institute collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Menno Bible Institute
Physical description area
61 cm of textual records. - ca. 100 photographs. - 1 compact disc. - 1 banner.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Menno Bible Institute was founded in 1937 by the Conference of Mennonites in Alberta, affiliated with the General Conference Mennonite Church. Didsbury Mennonite Church initially provided space for dormitories and classrooms, but a purpose-built school was constructed in the early 1940s. The school had two or three instructors, and about 60 high-school-aged students at its peak in the 1940s. Wilhelm Pauls was the principal until his retirement in 1962. Enrolment declined in the 1960s as young Mennonites saw advantages in completing Grade 12 in the public school system. The Conference of Mennonites in Alberta decided to close the school in 1966 and amalgamate it with the Swift Current Bible Institute in Saskatchewan.
The materials accessioned as 2012.007 are believed to have been transferred to the Conference of Mennonites in Alberta following the closure of Menno Bible Institute, then transferred to the MHSA in 2002 via CMA archivist Henry Goerzen. The materials donated by Marvin Baergen (2011.045) were accumulated by his father Frank Bergen, a member of the Institute's governing Committee. The materials donated by Bill Pauls (2012.022) are from his father, Rev. Wilhelm Pauls, long-time principal of the Institute. The materials donated by Henry Goerzen (2011.018) were collected by him from various sources..
Scope and content
The fonds consists of the school's constitution and policies (ca. 1962-ca. 1965), Board minutes (1962-1968), reports, correspondence (1961-1967), financial records, architectural plans, lists of students and staff (1937-1965), catalogues/calendars (1950-1966), student publications (1951-ca. 1964), student essays, student reunion records (1952, 1991), research papers on Mennonite Bible schools, student portraits (1945-1966), and the school's processional banner. Includes some information on Coaldale Mennonite Brethren Bible School and Aufwärts Bibelschule in Rosemary, Alberta.Includes some personal records of Wilhelm Pauls. .
Immediate source of acquisition
Gifts by Conference of Mennonites of Alberta, ca. 2002; Henry D. Goerzen collector,2011; Marvin Baergen, 2011, and Bill Pauls, 2012..
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
The material is mostly in English. Some early records are in German.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to student records may be restricted in accordance with Alberta privacy legislation and MHSA privacy policies.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An online inventory is available. A more detailed paper inventory is stored in Box 3 of the fonds.
Some of the school's yearbooks are in the Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta Library.
Accession no. 2011.018, 2011.045, 2012.045, 2012.007, 2012.022 filed at 2011.045
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- Pauls, Wilhelm (Subject)
- Coaldale Mennonite Bible Institute (Coaldale, Alta.) (Subject)
- Aufwärts Bibelschule (Rosemary, Alta.) (Subject)
- Menno Bible Institute (Didsbury, Alta.) (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta