Title and statement of responsibility area
Menorah Curling Club fonds
General material designation
B'nai Brith Menorah Curling Club
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Menorah Curling Club
Physical description area
20 cm of textual records. -- 36 photographs.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Menorah Curling Club came into existence in 1947 with the amalgamation of the sports committees of the two separate B'nai Brith lodges in Edmonton: Lodge #732 and Lodge #2061. The original club had 56 members under the leadership of Shim Laskin. The club competed with other Jewish curling clubs in bonspiels across the Western provinces. In the fall of 1951, the club built its own building, thanks to a loan and the purchase of $25,000 in shares by club members. A unique aspect of the building was that the finishing touches were completed by volunteer club members. Interest in curling began to wane in 1962, and the facility was eventually sold in 1969. The Club's financial affairs were eventually wound up in 1994 when the remaining shares were distributed to members, who then donated them to various charities.
Name of creator
Scope and content
The fonds consists of materials created by the Menorah Curling Club from 1947-1999, including a history, programs, legal documents, newspaper clippings, minutes (1959-1994), and photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Shim Laskin, former President of the Club, in 1999. Minutes donated by David Levine in 2011.
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Inventory available in accession register.
Further accruals are expected, but not scheduled.
Additional material may be found in the First Century of Jewish Life Editorial Committee fonds held by JAHSENA.<br><br>Record No. MCC.99.1;MCC.11.1<br><br>