Title and statement of responsibility area
Edmonton Electric Light & Power Company
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the content of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Edmonton Electric Light & Power Company
Physical description area
6 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Edmonton Electric Light & Power Company Limited was organized on September 23, 1891 to generate and distribute electrical power in Edmonton. It operated until May 8, 1902, after which it was wound up, all plant and equipment having been acquired by the Town of Edmonton.
The President throughout was John Alexander McDougall; the Secretary-Treasurers were P.L. Macnamara (provisional, 1891), Campbell Young (1891-1892) and St. George Jellett (1892-1902).
The donor, John C. McDougall, is the son of John A. McDougall, President of the company.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of the minute books of the Edmonton Electric Light & Power Company Limited, 1891-1902 and other papers relating to the operation of the company.
Minute book, September 23, 1891 – December 12, 1899. Includes minutes of organizational meeting (pp 1-2) and by-laws (pp. 16-28).
Documents extracted from Minute Book (file 1), includes: List of Shareholders (inside front cover), By-law – re: borrowing, January 30, 1894 (pp. 79-80).
Minute book, January 2, 1900 – May 8 1902. Includes list of shareholders 1902 (inside back cover).
Letters and notes 1900-1902, includes: - Jackson& Grierson, proprietors Alberta Hotel to Manager, Electric Light Co., May 5, 1900; notes, re: share values, 1902 (on note pad of St. George Jellett, Secretary-Treasurer).
Letters of Patent for Edmonton Electric Light & Power, Northwest Territories, granted by His Honour Joseph Royal for Queen Victoria, 23 October 1891; granting one thousand shares of ten dollars each ($10,000.00).
Includes names of shareholders: Arsemous Delton Osborne (Postmaster), Richard Secord (Merchants Clerk), Donald Ross (Hotel Keeper), Alexander Taylor (Government Telegraph Operator), John Alexander McDougall (Merchant), William Johnston Walker (Merchant), Stanislas Larve (Merchant), Joseph Henri Picard (Merchant), Alexis Francois Degagne (Carpenter), Herbert Charles Wilson (Physician), Frederick Ross (Merchant), Luke Kelly (Hotel Keeper), Alfred Everard Johnston (Forest Ranger), Daniel Robert Fraser (Lumber Merchant), Sydney Stockton Taylor (Advocate), Xavier St. Jean (Hotel Keeper), Luke Arthur (Carpenter), John Walters (Ferryman), Kenneth Archibald McLeod (Carpenter), Colin Ferrie Strang (Financial Agent), James Ross (Merchant), George Robert Foster Kirkpatrick (Bank Manager), George Thompson (Druggist), Emmanuel Raymer (Jeweler), William Fielders (Implement Agent), Campbell Young (Insurance Agent), Frederick Sache (Merchants Clerk), Nicholas Dominic Beck (Adovcate) and Patrick McNamara (Adovcate), all of Edmonton in the District of Alberta; Henry Goodbridge, of Miners Flats near Edmonton aforesaid; Charles Bremner of Clover Bar near Edmonton aforesaid, and Richard George Hardisty of Sturgeon River near Edmonton aforesaid. (2 o/s pages)
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by John C. McDougall in 1942.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.