Fonds paa-9699 - Murray Family fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Murray Family fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

PAA paa-9699

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1892-[197?] (Creation)
    Creator
    Murray Family

Physical description area

Physical description

0.01 m of textual records. -- 40 photographs.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Murray family originally came to the United States from Scotland, settling in Pennsylvania before moving to Victoria County, Ontario. John Murray lived in Corson's Siding, a small railway village about six miles northeast of Victoria Road. The main industry in the area was cutting timber for cordwood, the majority of which was used by the Toronto Distiller's Gooderham and Wort. The influx of loggers in the summer lead to high levels of crime and earned the area the nickname of "Hell's half acre." Deforestation led to an end of the timber industry in the area in 1890. Murray married Ellen Tripp, another resident of Corson's Siding, on September 16, 1889. In 1892 he left Ontario for Vancouver, where he remained until 1893, before returning to Corson's Siding. John Murray was granted a homestead in the Leduc area of Alberta, for the NE quarter of Section 32, Township 48, Range 25, West of the 4th Meridian, on Sept. 18, 1899. In 1902 John Murray advocated for the creation of a Public School District in the area, West Union. The West Union Public School District No. 753 was organized in 1902 and the first school was built in 1904. At least three of the Murray children, Joe, Ethel, and Jenny would attend the school. It burned down in 1953. The Murray's also had another daughter, Mary, who eventually moved to Edmonton. John Murray died on June 28, 1920 in Leduc. Ellen Murray eventually moved to Edmonton.

Custodial history

Joan Neilsen-Gittins deposited the materials at the Provincial Archives of Alberta on Nov. 13, 2009. Neilsen-Gittins is the granddaughter of John and Ellen Murray.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of black and white photographs of members of the Murray family, their farm, the Leduc area, a logging camp in Entwistle, and a camp in Wildwood; photo postcards, mostly of the Edmonton area, some colour, some black and white, dating c. 1910-1930 some of which contain correspondence sent to Ellen Murray from her daughter Mary in Edmonton, and what may be a promotional postcard booklet; correspondence relating to John Murray's involvement in the creation of the West Union Public School District, No. 753, in 1902; and materials relating to John and Ellen Murray including their marriage certificate, 1889, letters from John to Ellen when he was in Vancouver, 1892-1893, a Dominion Lands Tax Receipt for their homestead in the Leduc area, 1899, a letter to John and Ellen from her [sister] S. Tripp in 1912, a receipt for John's tombstone, 1920, a tax notice for the Leduc property from 1938, and other ephemera.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access. Subject to the Copyright Act. Permission for use required.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list is available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

The information in the administrative history is sourced from the fonds and from the Canadian Genealogy website:http://www.canadiangenealogy.net/ontario/victoriacounty/half_acre.htm (Accessed March 21, 2011.)<br><br>Record No. Includes the following accessions: PR2010.0136<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres