Title and statement of responsibility area
North Western Telephone Company fonds
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Level of description
CA GPR 0423
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Alberta Government Telephones
Physical description area
2 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1913 Anson Wagar, pioneer businessman of Lake Saskatoon, applied for a franchise to operate a telephone company in the Rural Municipality of Bear Lake No. 740. Mr. Wagar had graduated from Yale University in 1903, and in 1912 he and his wife purchased homesteads in the Lake Saskatoon district. By January 1914 their franchise had been approved and they had become directors and the principal shareholders of the North-Western Telephone Company Ltd. Anson then turned his attention to obtaining the franchise for the Rural Municipality of Grande Prairie No. 739 and the Village of Grande Prairie, but it was not a smooth road. Opposition from the province, council members and residents culminated in a case before the Supreme Court of Canada where Wagar won an injunction against the village. By November of that year, poles and lines were being installed. Lines were extended to Beaverlodge in 1915, and by 1917 a report tabled in the House of Commons showed 60 phones in operation and 75 miles of wire. When Mr. Wagar sold the North Western Telephone Company to Alberta Government Telephones in 1920, the price was $9,000 for a line of long distance poles and exchanges extending from Beaverlodge to Lake Saskatoon, Grande Prairie, Clairmont and Sexsmith.
The records were compiled by Alberta Government staff in 1989 and donated to the Grande Prairie Museum. They were passed on to South Peace Regional Archives when it was established in 2000.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of a researched history of the North Western Telephone Company, which pre-dated the Alberta Government Telephone Co. in Grande Prairie, and three photographs: two of the first AGT office, and one of the AGT line workers and switchboard operators on the steps of the AGT office. The history was compiled by The System Historian for AGT in Edmonton and contains exercepts from three sources: the minutes and by-laws of the Rural Municipality of Bear Lake No. 740, articles from the Grande Prairie Herald, and the personal and business papers of Anson Wagar at the Provincial Archives.
Immediate source of acquisition
The records were donated to the Grande Prairie Museum in 1989 and later transferred to the South Peace Regional Archives.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A finding aid is available at http://southpeacearchives.org/finding-aids/north-western-telephone-company/
No accruals are expected.
Accession number: 1989.044.03
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
South Peace Regional Archives
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Language of description