Title and statement of responsibility area
Peace River Co-op Seed Growers Association fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on content.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Peace River Co-op Seed Growers Association
Physical description area
27.5 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The first meeting of the Peace River Co-op Seed Growers Association was held on August 16, 1936 at the Beaverlodge Experimental farm sub-station. The purpose of the Seed Growers Co-op was to give farmers a voice regarding markets for their grain. They shared a yearly dividend from the Co-op, as well as ownership in a grain drying machine. Membership in the Co-op was wide spread across the Peace Country, including the communities of Valhalla Centre, Wembley, Nampa, Sturgeon Heights, Bay Tree, DeBolt, Gordondale, Huallen, Calais, Doe River, Cherry Point, Whitelaw, Rycroft, Smoky Heights, Bonanza, Heart Valley, Northmark, Eaglesham, Grovedale, Beaverlodge, Sexsmith, Hythe, Spirit River, Poplar Hill, Grovedale, La Glace, Dimsdale, Halcourt, and Elmwoth; and from Dawson Creek, Pouce Coupe, and Farmington in the B.C. Peace. Meetings were held at the Capital Theatre in Grande Prairie and the surrounding communities of Pouce Coupe, Dawson Creek and Beaverlodge. The Peace River Co-op also helped establish the Albright Scholarship Fund and supported local fairs by providing prize money for the grain entries.
The executive in 1943 consisted of P. U. Clubine, President; Arnold Burgess, Vice President; and directors Robert Cochrane, Thomas Jamieson, Uri Powell, V. C. Flint and W.E. Grearson. Growing pains were an issue for this board as their membership numbers doubled in one year and storage and administration space were to capacity. This led to many discussions about the costs associated with purchasing or building a new building. Amalgamation with the Albert Seed Growers Association was also an often discussed topic and, although at first the members were reluctant, by 1950 they were in serious talks about merging the two organizations. There is no record of when the Association ceased to exist.
Preserved by Joan Harris Sereda, daughter of Les Harris, who was a member of the organization. The records were donated to South Peace Regional Archives by Jean Harris Gray, daughter of Rowe Harris, another member, on August 8, 2011.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes 1943-1950, and correspondence 1947-1948.
Immediate source of acquisition
The records were donated to South Peace Regional Archives by Jean Harris Gray on August 8, 2011.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A finding aid is available at http://southpeacearchives.org/fonds-545-peace-river-co-operative-seed-growers/
No accruals are expected.
Accession number 2011.48
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Language of description