Title and statement of responsibility area
Pioneer Museum Society of Grande Prairie and District fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
- Cartographic material
- Architectural drawing
- Sound recording
- Moving images
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
CA GPR 0001
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Pioneer Museum Society of Grande Prairie and District
Physical description area
225 cm of textual records
190 sound recordings
29 video recordings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Pioneer Museum Society of Grande Prairie & District was formed in 1961, under the chairmanship of Mel Rodacker, with Miss Isabel Campbell as secretary. With funds raised through Life memberships, canvassing, radio bingos and sports pools, a building was constructed on land donated by the City of Grande Prairie in 1967-68. Grande Prairie Museum was officially opened in 1970. A shop and front foyer were added to the main building between 1984 and 1986, and a machine shed was built in 1987.
The primary objective of the Pioneer Museum Society is to acquire, preserve, interpret, and exhibit the human and natural history of Grande Prairie and surrounding areas of the Peace River Country. To carry out this mandate, there are the following departments: the Board of Directors is responsible for setting policy and membership; Administration oversees planning, personnel, volunteers, finances, and the physical plant; Collections acquires artifacts, stores and maintains them to ensure their integrity, maintains the Heritage Village, and sets up displays for the public; Programming plans and carries out school programs and special events; and the Archives preserves archival materials and makes them available to the public.
As part of its mandate, the society established a Heritage Village with wooden boardwalks and telegraph poles, and acquired the following buildings: Tempest House, a two-story log house/post office from Kleskun Lake in 1974; the 1911 McQueen Presbyterian Church; the 1917 Hermit Lake school; the Big Mountains forestry cabin in 1977; an Edson Trail caboose in 1979; a replica of the town fire hall, built in 1984; a replica of the 1919 Campbell Cabin, which was home to Miss Isabel Campbell as a child; the 1935 Pipestone Creek Store; and a 1930 barn in 1999.
The first curators of the Grande Prairie Museum were volunteers Mel Rodacker and Bert Tieman. In 1984, Alice Fortier became the first permanent, full-time staff. She was succeeded by Peter Goertzen, Administrator/Curator in 1992.
In the late 90s, the society began an aggressive funding campaign which resulted in the start of an archives program, a second Heritage Centre showcasing the entire Peace River Country, and an expansion of the main museum.
The Society is a founding member of the Alberta Museums Association and a member of the Spirit of the Peace and Canadian Museums Association.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of the records of the Board of Directors; Administrative planning documents, financial and personnel records, information on the physical plant, and subject and correspondence files; photographs and information on Collections’ artifacts, buildings, and displays; photographs and files of Programming and special events. Completing the collection are brochures and books published by the society, associated organizations; and photographs, scrapbooks and guest books from the Grande Prairie Museum.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No access restrictions
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A finding aid is available at http://southpeacearchives.org/001-pioneer-museum-society-of-grande-prairie-district-fonds/
These are the records of the agency administering the Grande Prairie Regional Archives.
The fonds also includes 50 volumes and newspapers not included in the 225 cm of textual records.
Accession number: 2000.01
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
South Peace Regional Archives
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Language of description