Fonds 0001 - Pioneer Museum Society of Grande Prairie and District fonds

Annie and Charles Higbee Pembers Ltd. Furniture Store Grande Prairie Parade Hudson's Bay  Co., Saskatoon Lake Dinner at the Church Opening Anna Anderson Shaw Dunvegan Bridge Under Construction Jack Higbee Phyllis Woollven's Home Training for WWII
Résultats 1 à 10 sur 482 Afficher tout

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Pioneer Museum Society of Grande Prairie and District fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel
  • Document iconographique
  • Document cartographique
  • Dessin d'architecture
  • Document sonore
  • Images en mouvement

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Source du titre propre: Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

CA GPR 0001

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

225 cm of textual records
5,603 photographs
100 maps
18 blueprints
190 sound recordings
29 video recordings

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1961-present)

Histoire administrative

The Pioneer Museum Society of Grande Prairie & District was formed in 1961, under the chairmanship of Mel Rodacker, with Miss Isabel Campbell as secretary. With funds raised through Life memberships, canvassing, radio bingos and sports pools, a building was constructed on land donated by the City of Grande Prairie in 1967-68. Grande Prairie Museum was officially opened in 1970. A shop and front foyer were added to the main building between 1984 and 1986, and a machine shed was built in 1987.

The primary objective of the Pioneer Museum Society was to acquire, preserve, interpret, and exhibit the human and natural history of Grande Prairie and surrounding areas of the Peace River Country. To carry out this mandate, there were the following departments: the Board of Directors was responsible for setting policy and membership; Administration oversaw planning, personnel, volunteers, finances, and the physical plant; Collections acquired artifacts, stores and maintained them to ensure their integrity, maintained the Heritage Village, and set up displays for the public; Programming planned and carried out school programs and special events; and the Archives preserved archival materials and made them available to the public.

As part of its mandate, the society established a Heritage Village with wooden boardwalks and telegraph poles, and acquired the following buildings: Tempest House, a two-story log house/post office from Kleskun Lake in 1974; the 1911 McQueen Presbyterian Church; the 1917 Hermit Lake school; the Big Mountains forestry cabin in 1977; an Edson Trail caboose in 1979; a replica of the town fire hall, built in 1984; a replica of the 1919 Campbell Cabin, which was home to Miss Isabel Campbell as a child; the 1935 Pipestone Creek Store; and a 1930 barn in 1999.

The first curators of the Grande Prairie Museum were volunteers Mel Rodacker and Bert Tieman. In 1984, Alice Fortier became the first permanent, full-time staff. She was succeeded by Peter Goertzen, Administrator/Curator in 1992.

In the late 90s, the society began an aggressive funding campaign which resulted in the start of an archives program, a second Heritage Centre showcasing the entire Peace River Country, and an expansion of the main museum. In 2000, the archives separated from the Museum and became a different organization called The South Peace Regional Archives.

The Museum became part of the City of Grande Prairie in 2007. The society itself dissolved in 2017. The Society was a founding member of the Alberta Museums Association and a member of the Spirit of the Peace and Canadian Museums Association.

The primary objective of the Pioneer Museum Society is to acquire, preserve, interpret, and exhibit the human and natural history of Grande Prairie and surrounding areas of the Peace River Country. To carry out this mandate, there are the following departments: the Board of Directors is responsible for setting policy and membership; Administration oversees planning, personnel, volunteers, finances, and the physical plant; Collections acquires artifacts, stores and maintains them to ensure their integrity, maintains the Heritage Village, and sets up displays for the public; Programming plans and carries out school programs and special events; and the Archives preserves archival materials and makes them available to the public.

As part of its mandate, the society established a Heritage Village with wooden boardwalks and telegraph poles, and acquired the following buildings: Tempest House, a two-story log house/post office from Kleskun Lake in 1974; the 1911 McQueen Presbyterian Church; the 1917 Hermit Lake school; the Big Mountains forestry cabin in 1977; an Edson Trail caboose in 1979; a replica of the town fire hall, built in 1984; a replica of the 1919 Campbell Cabin, which was home to Miss Isabel Campbell as a child; the 1935 Pipestone Creek Store; and a 1930 barn in 1999.

The first curators of the Grande Prairie Museum were volunteers Mel Rodacker and Bert Tieman. In 1984, Alice Fortier became the first permanent, full-time staff. She was succeeded by Peter Goertzen, Administrator/Curator in 1992. In the late 90s, the society began an aggressive funding campaign which resulted in the start of an archives program, a second Heritage Centre showcasing the entire Peace River Country, and an expansion of the main museum.

The Society is a founding member of the Alberta Museums Association and a member of the Spirit of the Peace and Canadian Museums Association.

Historique de la conservation

Portée et contenu

The fonds consists of the records of the Board of Directors; Administrative planning documents, financial and personnel records, information on the physical plant, and subject and correspondence files; photographs and information on Collections’ artifacts, buildings, and displays; photographs and files of Programming and special events. Completing the collection are brochures and books published by the society, associated organizations; and photographs, scrapbooks and guest books from the Grande Prairie Museum.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Langue des documents

  • anglais

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

No access restrictions

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Éléments associés

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Note générale

This fonds has been identified as having Indigenous related content. Researchers may encounter language that is outdated and offensive. To learn more about Indigenous records at the South Peace Regional Archives please see our guide at https://southpeacearchives.org/indigenousrecords/

Description matérielle

The fonds also includes 50 volumes and newspapers not included in the 225 cm of textual records.

Désignations alphanumériques

Accession number: 2000.01

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

0001

Identifiant du service d'archives

South Peace Regional Archives

Règles ou conventions

Niveau de détail

Moyen

Langue de la description

  • anglais

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés