Collection Collection 131 - Royal Winnipeg Rifles collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Royal Winnipeg Rifles collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

PPCLI Collection 131

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1958-1990 (Creation)
    Creator
    Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regimental Museum and Archives

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Soon after its repatriation to Canada in 1919, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) began to maintain a collection of its important artifacts and pictures in the custody of its Commanding Officer. In September 1953, the PPCLI Regimental Museum was established at Camp Wainwright, Alberta, and its official opening was on 13 May, 1954. The Museum's principal functions then were to preserve the traditions and history of the Regiment and contribute to the education of recruits. On 13 September 1953 the PPCLI Association was incorporated and took over the governance of the Museum. The Association, which was legally empowered to accept charitable donations, held the collection in trust for the Regiment and the people of Canada. The Regimental Adjutant acted as Curator of the Museum, assisted by serving members of the Regiment and volunteers from the Association. The Museum's operations were financially supported by the Hamilton Gault Memorial Fund, which was established by the Association. From Wainwright , the Museum followed the Regimental Home Station to Edmonton in 1957 and eventually to Currie Barracks in Calgary in 1968. In 1989 the Museum joined forces with three other regimental museums to form the Museum of the Regiments (later named The Military Museums) at 4520 Crowchild Trail SW in Calgary. In 1994 legal ownership of the collections was transferred to the Regiment. From 1996 to 2006 the Museum and Archives was managed by a civilian curator/archivist; subsequently, it was managed by a serving member of the Regiment appointed by the Regimental Adjutant.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The collection consists of printed materials produced by the Royal Winnipeg Rifles: 75th anniversary historical pamphlet (1958); announcement of re-dedication of the Volunteer Monument and granting of the Freedom of the City (1968); Centennial program pocket edition (1983); One hundredth anniversary [souvenir program] (1983); newsletter: The Devil's blast / The Royal Winnipeg Rifles Association. - Vol. 8, no. 3 (1990 Sept.).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

ppcli

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres