Title and statement of responsibility area
Ryder family fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on provenance of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Copied 1980, 1987 and 1998 (originally created [ca. 1905]-1971, 1987) (Creation)
- Ryder family
Physical description area
622 photographs : b&w copy negs;1 folder of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Roland Ryder (d. 1923) came to the Yukon from the Hope-Chilliwack area of British Columbia in 1900. His 16-year-old son George (1893?-1950), came up around 1909 to help run the draying, woodcutting and water-delivery business his father had established. George fought overseas in the First World War and returned to the Yukon. On November 15, 1919 he married Edith (1895-1980) a woman he had met through his sister Agnes. George and Edith settled in Whitehorse and had five children, Lloyd (1922-2009), Audrey (1924-1996), Harold (born and died 1928), Howard (b. 1931) and Gordon (b. 1936). The Ryder family operated the majority of the wood camps in the Whitehorse area until 1965. The sternwheelers on the Yukon River used wood as their chief fuel source and residential houses used wood for heating and cooking. The Ryders had 8 major locations in a 30-mile radius of Whitehorse. In 1934 Lloyd joined his father in the wood cutting business and in the mid-1950s Howard and Gordon joined the business. By the late 1940s Lloyd had also established Ryder Fuel and his brother Howard was delivering the home-heating oil. Gordon attended high school in Regina and returned home after graduating in the early 1950s. The city of Whitehorse was incorporated June 16, 1950 and a mayor and four-member council, including George Ryder, were elected. He died unexpectedly four months later at the age of 57. Edith Ryder was very good with numbers and had worked with her husband, George, for over thirty years. She owned property on Jarvis Street and in the spring of 1960 she and Gordon began construction of the Stratford Motel. The Ryders ran the hotel until 1991 when it was sold. In the mid-1960s Gordon started Builders Supplyland which he was still operating in 1999. Lloyd sold his fuel-oil business in 1965 and embarked on a thirty-year career as a bush pilot. Lloyd died in Whitehorse in December 2009. His wife Marny is now retired from a career in the health care field which included years as a community health nurse, a nursing instructor for Yukon College's Nursing Assistants Program and a staff development consultant in Yukon government's Public Service Commission.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of copy negatives of a wide variety of Yukon localities and activities of the Ryder family. Images include the Ryder home at the corner of Fourth and Wood in Whitehorse, automobiles, the Ryders' water wagon, a Caterpillar pulling cords of wood, the Takhini River ferry, an early snowmobile, mail service, ski jumping and cross country skiing, and buildings in Whitehorse. There are also many views of aircraft, including the PAA (Pan American Airway System) Lodestar and Eastman Flying Boat. Identified individuals include Roland, George, Edith, Howard, and Lloyd Ryder, Gordon Cameron, Audrey (Ryder) Roth and her husband Dr. Burns Roth, Gudrun Erickson (Gudrun Sparling), E.J. Hamacher, Don and Betty Murray, Happy Lepage, and members of the Cyr family. The textual record is a term paper titled, "Ryder Wood Camps, 1907-1965, Whitehorse Area", written by Marny Ryder in 1987. She writes about the family history and their involvement in the wood business and the eleven wood camps they had in the Whitehorse area.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Okay for non-commercial and internet use. For commercial use contact the donor. Copyright transferred to Yukon Archives. Donor maintains commercial rights only.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Caption lists are available.