Sarnia Ranch Company

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Sarnia Ranch Company

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

[ca.1890-1940]

History

J.A. Grant hailed from Sarnia, Ontario and traveled west in 1890, driving 3000 sheep down from Lethbridge to Walsh. Grant would establish the Sarnia Ranching Company headquarters there, just three miles South of Walsh. However, this was not the only location of the Ranch, Grant moved its location approximately 3 times in efforts of chasing “greener pastures”.

Sarnia Ranch primarily ran large herds of sheep, but it also expanded to include cattle and horses. While Sarnia Ranching experienced financially trying times, it would also reach the heights of success. The Ranch is suggested to have had at one time approximately 24000 sheep and 2000 cattle, as well as a big band of horses. It was purported to have been one of the biggest privately owned ranching operations on the prairies at the time. One indication of this success was the stately Sarnia ranch house built for J.A. Grant with plans by architect Geo. G. Kerr.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

MED-814

Institution identifier

Esplanade Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR 5.4.6
ISO 8601

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

2017-05-23 (date of creation)

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places