Fonds 0644 - Sexsmith Branch #60 Royal Canadian Legion fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Sexsmith Branch #60 Royal Canadian Legion fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0644

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1914-1987 (Creation)
    Creator
    Sexsmith Branch #60 Royal Canadian Legion

Physical description area

Physical description

7 pages of textual records
40 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1927-present)

Administrative history

The Sexsmith Legion #60 was formed in 1927, receiving its charter from Dominion Command in 1928. Walter Spry was the president and there were twelve charter members. The Branch served many surrounding communities including Bad Heart and La Glace. The legion helped veterans obtain pensions and services for disabled WWI veterans. In 1937 the Legion had CFGP broadcast the Remembrance Day ceremony from the newly constructed cenotaph. With the return of WWII veterans it was decided that there was a need for a hall in Sexsmith and over the next ten years with donations and volunteers the hall was completed. The Sexsmith Legion Branch also supported sports and events including minor ball, hockey and track and field. The Ladies Auxiliary was formed in 1950 to support the Legion and its activities as well.

In 1978, Sexsmith Branch #60 celebrated its 50th anniversary.

Custodial history

The Sexsmith Legion donated the collection to the Sexsmith Museum who in turn donated them to the archives in 2015.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of photographs and documents of events supported or collected by the Sexsmith Legion.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession number: 2015.35

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0644

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres