Collection yuk-783 - Sisters of St. Ann collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Sisters of St. Ann collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on provenance of collection.

Level of description

Collection

Repository

Reference code

yuk yuk-783

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1899-1974 (Creation)
    Creator
    Sisters of St. Ann

Physical description area

Physical description

24 photographs : b&w negs;.07 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Sisters of St. Ann arrived in Dawson City, Yukon, in July 1898 and remained until 1963. They initially came to assist the Roman Catholic priest, Father William Judge, in the operation of a hospital he had opened in the north end of town, in the summer of 1897. St. Mary's School was opened by Father Gendreau on September 3, 1899. Over the years the Sisters cared for the sick, taught classes, helped the aged and performed other good works consistent with Gospel teachings and called "works of charity". A three-story hospital was built in 1906. This building burned down on an extremely cold night in January 1950. Sister Gedeon, a patient in the infirmary, died shortly after the fire, probably due to smoke inhalation. The Court House, once used by the North West Mounted Police (NWMP), at the south end of town was renovated and turned into the new hospital. The Commissioner's Residence became the home for the aged and infirm patients. The Sisters lived on the second floor. The Sisters decided to close the residence, hospital and school in 1963 for a number of reasons. The buildings were deteriorating and too costly to maintain, the number of patients was decreasing, the Yukon Consolidated Gold Company (YCGC) announced its decision to close, and the Yukon Government was assuming care of its aged population. The closing of the ministry concluded with the unexpected death of Sister Ignatia. She had chosen to drive from Dawson City to Victoria and died of a heart attack just before reaching Whitehorse.

Custodial history

Father Tim Coonen obtained the photographs from two separate Sisters of St. Ann Archives.

Scope and content

The collection consists of photographs obtained by Father Tim Coonen, OMI, of Dawson City from two separate Sisters of St. Ann Archives to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the Catholic Church in Dawson City, Yukon. The subjects in the photographs include the Sisters, the exterior and interior of St. Mary's Hospital including the operating room, Sister Mary Ignatia with Prince Philip and members of the Yukon Order of Pioneers (YOOP), the new hospital at the old Court House, interior and exterior views of St. Mary's School, students, and a group of priests. The textual records consist of copies of materials held by the Sisters of St. Ann in their Archives in Victoria. Included are correspondence, copies of newspaper articles, and reminiscences.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no donor-imposed restrictions on this material. General copyright or institutional or legal restrictions may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list is available for textual records.

Associated materials

St. Mary's Hospital (Dawson City) fonds, St. Mary's School (Dawson City) fonds, St. Mary's Catholic Church fonds.;St. Mary's Hospital (Dawson, Y.T.) fonds and St. Mary's Hospital (Dawson, Y.T.) photograph collection held at Sisters of St. Ann St. Joseph's Province Archives, Victoria, B.C.; Sisters of St. Ann fonds and St. Mary's Hospital fonds held at Dawson City Museum, Dawson City, Yukon.

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres