Fonds 0008 - South Slope School Division 3545 fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

South Slope School Division 3545 fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the records.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0008

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1930-1973 (Creation)
    Creator
    South Slope School Division 3545

Physical description area

Physical description

4 cm of textual records
1 photograph

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1917-1998)

Administrative history

South Slope School Division was formed in 1917, and its first school opened in the home of Eli Barrett with Mrs. Duncan Cameron as teacher. A one-room school was built in 1919, and a second classroom opened in a local business in 1936. A new two-room school, financed by debentures, was built in 1939, and used with the old school as a third classroom. In 1946, two more classrooms, a library and a science lab were added to the existing school and the old school was converted to a teacherage. In the early 1950s, some small schools in the area (Heart Valley, West Vale, Mersey and Peoria), were closed and South Slope again expanded. In 1955, a new school was constructed north of South Slope and was just called the Wanham School. Under centralization, a new high school was built in Spirit River, and in 1998, the Wanham School was closed.

Custodial history

Records were preserved by E.J. Harrington, school board member. When he moved away from Wanham, he left them in the custody of Wally Tansem, who donated them to the Archives.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of correspondence from 1930-1973 (with the bulk in 1936-49), applications for the teaching positions in the new school in 1939, and 1 photograph of the student body c. 1938-39.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were preserved by E.J. Harrington, school board member. When he moved away from Wanham, he left them in the custody of Wally Tansem, who donated them to the Archives.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No access restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession number: 2000.17

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0008

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres