Collection 0255 - South Wapiti collection

South Wapiti School Children School Transportation South Wapiti School Children Ted Day Family Farmhouse Winter Travel Day family with Grandpa Berg McCullough Sawmill The Bee Man Ole Berg Valentine Dance
Results 1 to 10 of 15 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

South Wapiti collection

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Level of description


Reference code

CA GPR 0255

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

15 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

([ca. 1930]-present)

Administrative history

The South Wapiti area centered on Township 79, Range 8, West of the 6th meridian. It was opened for agriculture in the early 1930s, with settlers crossing the Wapiti River by boat at Pipestone Creek. A post office was started in Mr. Riggs house, and soon there was a ferry over the river. The first community building was the South Wapiti School (District No. 4623) built in 1935, the center for clubs, meetings and church as well as the school. When the Riggs left in 1940, Archie Gerow took over the post office and added a small store. In 1952, a hall was built on Ted Day's quarter, SE 17-69-8-W6, and became a venue for wedding dances and community events. As transportation became easier, the settlers could go to Grovedale or Pipestone Creek for the goods and services they needed. The store and post office were the first to close, with the school following in 1962 and the hall around 1964.

Custodial history

The photographs were preserved by Melba (Bunny) Day Schenk, daughter of Ted Day and grand-daughter of Olaf Berg. They were deposited with South Peace Regional Archives in 2006.

Scope and content

The collection consists of 15 photographs of the farmers and settlers who lived in or frequented the South Wapiti area, including Olaf Berg, the Ted Day family, Osbornes, McCulloughs and Ryans.There is also a photo of "The Bee Man" from the Beaverlodge Research Station giving a demonstration on bee keeping for the South Wapiti Community.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The photographs were deposited with South Peace Regional Archives by Melba Schenk in 2006.


Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


No accruals are expected.

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession number: 2006.040

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier


Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail


Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres