Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Hilda's School for Girls fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of records.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1905-1963, predominant 1924-1950 (Creation)
- St. Hilda's School for Girls
Physical description area
25 cm of textual records. -- 4 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Bow Valley School, a Protestant boarding school for girls, was opened in Calgary, Alberta in 1904. At the suggestion of Bishop Pinkham, it was moved to Anglican church property and renamed St. Hilda's College after the girl's school in England. The curriculum stressed the humanities with an emphasis on languages, social studies, art, music and religious instruction. Physical education featured tennis and gymnastics, and sewing and mending were taught on Saturdays. In 1924, it became a non-denominational school and changed its name to St. Hilda's School for Girls. Principals of the school included Mrs. Gerrie-Smith, Laura Shibly, Dorothy Cleveland, Sara Macdonald, and Beatrice Shand. Marion Chattey was the head matron for many years. The school closed in 1949. For further information see the chapter about St. Hilda's in Nil Nisi Optimum : The History of Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School / Sharon Mercer. -- Calgary : Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School, 2005, p. 8-31.
Most of the records were stored at the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce from 1950 to 1985 when they were transferred to the Glenbow.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes, financial statements, general correspondence and newsclippings. Includes photographs of the buildings and pupils. RECORDS RELATED TO THE FOLLOWING SUBJECTS ARE ALSO IN THIS FONDS. SEE INVENTORY FOR DETAILS: R.C. Carlile, Miss D. Cleveland, J.B.Corbett, Rev. Canon James, Sara E.G. MacDonald, J.E.A. Macleod, and Beatrice E.G. Shand.
Immediate source of acquisition
Gifts of Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and P.J. Vaucher, 1974, 1985.
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No finding aid.
The papers of Beatrice Shand are also held at Glenbow.
Record No. M-3163;M-7312;PA-1661<br><br>
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- St. Hilda's School for Girls (Subject)