Fonds luth-1995 - St. John's Lutheran Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. John's Lutheran Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

PAA luth-1995

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1928 - 1991 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. John's Lutheran Church (Vergreville, Alberta)

Physical description area

Physical description

4 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Work began in the Mannville area by R. Hildebrant in 1917, 1918 among the German Lutherans in the Vegreville district but the congregation was not organized until 1926. The founding meeting for St. John's Lutheran church was held in June 1928 under the direction of Pastor R.E.Lueing and a Sunday School was organized at that time as well. The following month they decided to affiliate with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod which allowed them to consider the construction of a church building on lots donated by the town of Vegreville. The Church was built with volunteer labour and dedicated on December 9, 1928. The congregation was part of the Vegreville-Manville Parish and in 1945 the areas around Tofield and Bruce were also served. The first resident pastor, Rev. Nast moved to Vergreville in 1959. The congregation sold their old church to the Baptist congregation and built a new church on 4.8 acres in 1962. In 1977 they sold the extra property which was made into a subdivision. The congregation joined the newly formed Lutheran Church-Canada synod in 1988.

Name of creator

Name of creator

Biographical history

Lutheran Church Missouri Synod missionaries from Minnesota come into the area around Bruce prior to 1921. After 1921 Pastor Kuring led one service a month in German in private homes or the Old Flint School House which was shared with the United Church. A Sunday School was started with 11 students. In 1931 Rev. E. C. Zschoche served the area as part of a circuit which included Ferintosh, Holden, Duhamel, Bashaw, Lougheed and Killam. He was assisted at times by other pastors serving at other points. In 1934 the Old Flint School House burned down and the congregation, led by Pastor H. Hennig, decided to build a church using their own volunteer labour. They became the centre of the Bruce parish which included Tofield. From 1938 to 1943 Rev. Maschmeyer served the parish out of Vegreville. In 1943 Rev. Wessler served Tofield, Holden and Bruce and held the majority of services in English. In 1945 Bruce was added to the Vegreville -- Mannville parish with the pastor resident in Mannville. In 1959 the pastor was moved to a new parsonage in Vegreville. The Bruce Lutheran Women's Missionary League was formed in 1964 and the congregation rented the school in Bruce for Sunday School classes until 1983. In 1966 an addition was built onto the church. A reorganization of the circuit took place in 1980 when Mannville was added to the Vermilion Parish and Vegreville formed a parish with Bruce. Pastor Rumsch was called to served the Bruce - Vegreville parish and by 1983 Bruce congregation was self supporting. The congregation joined the newly formed Lutheran Church-Canada in 1988.

Custodial history

Records were deposited with the Lutheran Historical Institute by the congregations of the Bruce-Vegreville Parish in 1995.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of church histories, service bulletins for dedication of buildings (1928 - 1991); annual reports (1966 - 1984): membership correspondence, directories and material on the Parish expansion(1967 - 1978).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access. copyright restrictions apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available.

Associated materials

Alberta-British Columbia District of Lutheran Church-Canada fonds (03)

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

General note

Record No. 46<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area