St. John's Lutheran Church (Vergreville, Alberta)

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

St. John's Lutheran Church (Vergreville, Alberta)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


Work began in the Mannville area by R. Hildebrant in 1917, 1918 among the German Lutherans in the Vegreville district but the congregation was not organized until 1926. The founding meeting for St. John's Lutheran church was held in June 1928 under the direction of Pastor R.E.Lueing and a Sunday School was organized at that time as well. The following month they decided to affiliate with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod which allowed them to consider the construction of a church building on lots donated by the town of Vegreville. The Church was built with volunteer labour and dedicated on December 9, 1928. The congregation was part of the Vegreville-Manville Parish and in 1945 the areas around Tofield and Bruce were also served. The first resident pastor, Rev. Nast moved to Vergreville in 1959. The congregation sold their old church to the Baptist congregation and built a new church on 4.8 acres in 1962. In 1977 they sold the extra property which was made into a subdivision. The congregation joined the newly formed Lutheran Church-Canada synod in 1988.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Lutheran Historical Institute

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places