St. Joseph's Industrial School

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St. Joseph's Industrial School

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1884-1924

History

St. Joseph's Industrial School, commonly known as Dunbow School, operated from 1884 to 1924. It was built by the Canadian government, north of High River, Alberta (near the confluence of the Highwood and Bow Rivers) and was operated by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate as a Catholic residential school for Blackfoot children. It was one of the first three Indian residential schools in western Canada. The principals of the school were Father Albert Lacombe (1884-1885), Father E. Claude (1885-1890), Father A. Naessens (1890-1907), Father J. Riou (1907-?) and Father J.A. Demers (?-1924). The Commissioner of Indian Affairs in Regina and the Superintendent of Indian Affairs in Ottawa supervised the operations of the school. For further information see Brian Titley's article, "Dunbow Indian Industrial School : An Oblate Experiment in Education", in Western Oblate Studies 2 / Raymond Huel editor. -- Lewiston : Edwin Mellen Press, 1992.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

glen-2031

Institution identifier

Glenbow Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Record updated by Glenbow Archives, August 10, 2015.

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places