Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Joseph's Industrial School fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- St. Joseph's Industrial School
Physical description area
1.33 m of textual records. -- 3 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Joseph's Industrial School, commonly known as Dunbow School, operated from 1884 to 1924. It was built by the Canadian government, north of High River, Alberta (near the confluence of the Highwood and Bow Rivers) and was operated by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate as a Catholic residential school for Blackfoot children. It was one of the first three Indian residential schools in western Canada. The principals of the school were Father Albert Lacombe (1884-1885), Father E. Claude (1885-1890), Father A. Naessens (1890-1907), Father J. Riou (1907-?) and Father J.A. Demers (?-1924). The Commissioner of Indian Affairs in Regina and the Superintendent of Indian Affairs in Ottawa supervised the operations of the school. For further information see Brian Titley's article, "Dunbow Indian Industrial School : An Oblate Experiment in Education", in Western Oblate Studies 2 / Raymond Huel editor. -- Lewiston : Edwin Mellen Press, 1992.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of eight volumes of letterbooks: five of the principals' general correspondence and reports (1884-1907); one of letters to the Superintendent of Indian Affairs, Ottawa (1897-1909); and two of business letters, orders, deliveries, etc. pertaining to the daily operations of the school. Also includes incoming letters (1892), primarily from Hayter Reed, Commissioner of Indian Affairs. RECORDS RELATED TO THE FOLLOWING SUBJECTS ARE ALSO IN THIS FONDS: Father E. Claude, John Delaney, Vital Grandin, and 1885 Riel Rebellion (North West Rebellion).
Immediate source of acquisition
Gift of L.C. Hunter and Charles Knight, 1957-1960.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Inventory available. Please consult before requesting material.
Further records of the school are part of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate records at the Provincial Archives of Alberta. The Baptism, confirmation, marriage and burial register (1885-1920) is held by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Calgary Archives.
Call numbers. Please consult inventory.