St. Joseph's Industrial School

Zone d'identification

Type d'entité

Collectivité

Forme autorisée du nom

St. Joseph's Industrial School

forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom

Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions

Autre(s) forme(s) du nom

Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités

Zone de description

Dates d’existence

1884-1924

Historique

St. Joseph's Industrial School, commonly known as Dunbow School, operated from 1884 to 1924. It was built by the Canadian government, north of High River, Alberta (near the confluence of the Highwood and Bow Rivers) and was operated by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate as a Catholic residential school for Blackfoot children. It was one of the first three Indian residential schools in western Canada. The principals of the school were Father Albert Lacombe (1884-1885), Father E. Claude (1885-1890), Father A. Naessens (1890-1907), Father J. Riou (1907-?) and Father J.A. Demers (?-1924). The Commissioner of Indian Affairs in Regina and the Superintendent of Indian Affairs in Ottawa supervised the operations of the school. For further information see Brian Titley's article, "Dunbow Indian Industrial School : An Oblate Experiment in Education", in Western Oblate Studies 2 / Raymond Huel editor. -- Lewiston : Edwin Mellen Press, 1992.

Lieux

Statut légal

Fonctions et activités

Textes de référence

Organisation interne/Généalogie

Contexte général

Zone des relations

Zone des points d'accès

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Occupations

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de notice d'autorité

glen-2031

Identifiant du service d'archives

Glenbow Archives

Règles et/ou conventions utilisées

Statut

Finale

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Record updated by Glenbow Archives, August 10, 2015.

Langue(s)

  • anglais

Écriture(s)

Sources

Notes de maintenance

  • Presse-papier

  • Exporter

  • EAC

Sujets associés

Lieux associés