St. Paul's Anglican Residential School

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St. Paul's Anglican Residential School

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1881-1974

History

Rev. Samuel Trivett came to the Blood reserve near Cardston, Alberta in 1880 and established St. Paul's Anglican Residential School the following year. The school was initially located on an island in the Belly River, with Rev. and Mrs. H.T. Bourne assisting Rev. Trivett. The Commissioner of Indian Affairs in Regina and the Superintendent of Indian Affairs in Ottawa supervised the operations of the school. In 1909 Archdeacon Samuel H. Middleton became principal, a position he held until 1949. A new school facility was built in 1925. The school closed in 1974. For further information see "St. Paul's Boarding School : The Early Decades of Anglican Missionary Schooling on the Blood Reserve" / Shane Warren Porter. -- unpublished MEd thesis, University of Lethbridge, 1993.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

glen-2035

Institution identifier

Glenbow Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Record updated by Glenbow Archives, August 19, 2015.

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places