Fonds glen-2035 - St. Paul's Anglican Residential School fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Paul's Anglican Residential School fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

GLEN glen-2035

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1891-1946 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Paul's Anglican Residential School

Physical description area

Physical description

65 cm of textual records. -- 3 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1881-1974)

Administrative history

Rev. Samuel Trivett came to the Blood reserve near Cardston, Alberta in 1880 and established St. Paul's Anglican Residential School the following year. The school was initially located on an island in the Belly River, with Rev. and Mrs. H.T. Bourne assisting Rev. Trivett. The Commissioner of Indian Affairs in Regina and the Superintendent of Indian Affairs in Ottawa supervised the operations of the school. In 1909 Archdeacon Samuel H. Middleton became principal, a position he held until 1949. A new school facility was built in 1925. The school closed in 1974. For further information see "St. Paul's Boarding School : The Early Decades of Anglican Missionary Schooling on the Blood Reserve" / Shane Warren Porter. -- unpublished MEd thesis, University of Lethbridge, 1993.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of admission applications and health certificates (1910, 1914-1941), student register of admissions and discharges (1891-1946), quarterly report on admissions and discharges (January-March 1940), requisition for school supplies (1939) and photographs of the school and pupils.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Gifts of Rev. Allan McCuaig and Mr. J.E. DeWolf, 1958-1976.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

No finding aid.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Call numbers M-1829-(vol 1 & file 2), M-2023, NA-72

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres