Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Peter's Lutheran Parochial School fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1935 - 1943 (Creation)
- St. Peter's Lutheran Parochial School (Edmonton, Alberta)
Physical description area
2 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Peter's Lutheran Day School was established in 1908 with Rev. Schuetz as the teacher. In 1911 Mr. Dobring was called as the regular teacher and stayed until 1913 when he accepted a call to St. Matthew's Lutheran School in Stony Plain. The school closed due to the war until 1924 at which time Mr Lieske was called as the full time teacher. The school consisting of 35 pupils was again closed when Mr Lieske moved to the Lutheran School in Winnipeg. In 1932 Rev. A.J. Mueller, the pastor of St. Peter's Church, assumed the teaching position followed by Fred Ulmer in 1934, Philip Fry in 1937 and teacher Alvin Wied in 1939. Mr. Wied taught until 1943 when he returned to the United States rather than be conscripted into the Canadian Army. The school taught the required Alberta curriculum as well as Lutheran Catechism and Bible History. The school was again threatened with closure during the war as teachers were extremely hard to come by. Rev. Mueller again took over teaching the school but could not handle the duties required to maintain both the church and the school. The school was then finally closed for good.
Records were deposited with the Lutheran Historical Institute by the congregation, Dr. Threinen a former pastor of St. Peter's and Eduard Schultz the congregational archivist. The records were deposited between 1979 and 1999.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of correspondence concerning the hiring of teachers (1935-1943) and the Daily register (1941, 1942).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
- Material is in English and German.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access. Copyright restrictions apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list available
Lutheran Church-Canada, Alberta-British Columbia District fonds (3000);St. Peter's Lutheran Church fonds (Edmonton, Alberta)(37)
Further accruals are expected
Record No. 38<br><br>