Fonds 0147 - Thomas Wilson Lawlor fonds

J. H. Sissons, Barrister Picnicking on the River Bank Sir Edward Beattie, CPR President Slave Lake Flood Governor General Lord Tweedsmuir 25th Anniversary, United Church Women's Missionary Circle Thomas Wilson Lawlor Opening New Wing, Grande Prairie Municipal Hospital His Excellency, Lord Tweedsmuir, Governor General, Visits Grande Prairie Inspecting the Veteran's Guard of Honor
Results 1 to 10 of 15 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Thomas Wilson Lawlor fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0147

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1921-1959 (Creation)
    Creator
    Lawlor, Thomas

Physical description area

Physical description

0.5 cm of textual records
15 photographs
3 postcards

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1890-1959)

Biographical history

T. W. Lawlor was born in Killarney, Manitoba, in 1890. There he received his schooling, and went on to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Manitoba in 1914. He then came to the University of Alberta to study law, articling with the law firm of Hineman, Milner and Matheson. Between 1916-1919 his studies were interrupted when he joined the 196th University Battalion to serve with the Canadian Machine Gun Corps in France and later the Royal Air Force in Egypt. Returning to Edmonton after the War, he completed his L.L.B. in 1920. He set up his first practice as Barrister & Solicitor in Spirit River in 1920. On May 2, 1921, he married Sarah McCrimmon, R.N. In 1924, he moved his family to Grande Prairie and set up a law practice with J. H. Sissons on Richmond Ave. By 1930, Mr. Lawlor had been appointed agent for the Attorney General of Alberta, then was named King’s Counsellor in 1944. He held the post of crown counsel for the judicial district of Grande Prairie until ill health forced his resignation in 1958.

Mr. Lawlor was very community minded, active in the United Church, the Masons, the Legion, the Board of Trade, the Hospital Board, the Canadian Club, the Canadian Legion, and the School Board. He became Mayor of Grande Prairie in 1939, and hosted an official visit from the Governor General, Lord Tweedsmuir, in August of that year, just before the declaration of war in September. As mayor, Lawlor decided the time had come to pave Richmond Avenue and extend water and sewer systems. He remained in office until 1942, caught up with changes brought about by the war effort. These included a Basic Training Army Base set up in the south end of the town, and improvements to the town’s airport which included an American Army Base, established as part of the Northwest Staging Route.

Mr. And Mrs. Lawlor had three daughters: Flora (Mrs. Charles Rankin), Enid and Agnes (Mrs. Arthur Soversign).

Custodial history

The records were donated to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by T.W. Lawlor’s daughters, Agnes Sovereign in 2000 and 2004, and Flora Rankin in 2003.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of 1 portrait of T. W. Lawlor as barrister and mayor; 14 photographs relating to civic duties, including the official visit of Governor General Lord Tweedsmuir, in 1939; 3 post cards (one of which shows a military parade) of Richmond Avenue, Grande Prairie; 1 news article, June 2, 1959, and 1 tribute obituary. Also included is a Christmas postcard with a wedding photograph of Agnes(Lawlor) and Don Wilson.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The records were donated to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by T.W. Lawlor’s daughters, Agnes Sovereign in 2000 and 2004, and Flora Rankin in 2003.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Also donated were newsletters and a trail guide for The Alexander Mackenzie Trail Association located in reference files and booklets respectively.
A painting of Forbes Presbyterian Church 1911-1926 is located in Collections.

Related materials

Accruals

No accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession numbers: 2000.30, 2003.14, 2004.14

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0147

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres