Fonds 0147 - Thomas Wilson Lawlor fonds

J. H. Sissons, Barrister Picnicking on the River Bank Sir Edward Beattie, CPR President Slave Lake Flood Governor General Lord Tweedsmuir 25th Anniversary, United Church Women's Missionary Circle Thomas Wilson Lawlor Opening New Wing, Grande Prairie Municipal Hospital His Excellency, Lord Tweedsmuir, Governor General, Visits Grande Prairie Inspecting the Veteran's Guard of Honor
Résultats 1 à 10 sur 15 Afficher tout

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Thomas Wilson Lawlor fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document iconographique
  • Document textuel

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Source du titre propre: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

CA GPR 0147

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1921-1959 (Production)
    Producteur
    Lawlor, Thomas

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

0.5 cm of textual records
15 photographs
3 postcards

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1890-1959)

Notice biographique

T. W. Lawlor was born in Killarney, Manitoba, in 1890. There he received his schooling, and went on to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Manitoba in 1914. He then came to the University of Alberta to study law, articling with the law firm of Hineman, Milner and Matheson. Between 1916-1919 his studies were interrupted when he joined the 196th University Battalion to serve with the Canadian Machine Gun Corps in France and later the Royal Air Force in Egypt. Returning to Edmonton after the War, he completed his L.L.B. in 1920. He set up his first practice as Barrister & Solicitor in Spirit River in 1920. On May 2, 1921, he married Sarah McCrimmon, R.N. In 1924, he moved his family to Grande Prairie and set up a law practice with J. H. Sissons on Richmond Ave. By 1930, Mr. Lawlor had been appointed agent for the Attorney General of Alberta, then was named King’s Counsellor in 1944. He held the post of crown counsel for the judicial district of Grande Prairie until ill health forced his resignation in 1958.

Mr. Lawlor was very community minded, active in the United Church, the Masons, the Legion, the Board of Trade, the Hospital Board, the Canadian Club, the Canadian Legion, and the School Board. He became Mayor of Grande Prairie in 1939, and hosted an official visit from the Governor General, Lord Tweedsmuir, in August of that year, just before the declaration of war in September. As mayor, Lawlor decided the time had come to pave Richmond Avenue and extend water and sewer systems. He remained in office until 1942, caught up with changes brought about by the war effort. These included a Basic Training Army Base set up in the south end of the town, and improvements to the town’s airport which included an American Army Base, established as part of the Northwest Staging Route.

Mr. And Mrs. Lawlor had three daughters: Flora (Mrs. Charles Rankin), Enid and Agnes (Mrs. Arthur Soversign).

Historique de la conservation

The records were donated to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by T.W. Lawlor’s daughters, Agnes Sovereign in 2000 and 2004, and Flora Rankin in 2003.

Portée et contenu

The fonds consists of 1 portrait of T. W. Lawlor as barrister and mayor; 14 photographs relating to civic duties, including the official visit of Governor General Lord Tweedsmuir, in 1939; 3 post cards (one of which shows a military parade) of Richmond Avenue, Grande Prairie; 1 news article, June 2, 1959, and 1 tribute obituary. Also included is a Christmas postcard with a wedding photograph of Agnes(Lawlor) and Don Wilson.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

The records were donated to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by T.W. Lawlor’s daughters, Agnes Sovereign in 2000 and 2004, and Flora Rankin in 2003.

Classement

Langue des documents

  • The material is in English.

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

There are no restrictions on access.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Éléments associés

Also donated were newsletters and a trail guide for The Alexander Mackenzie Trail Association located in reference files and booklets respectively.
A painting of Forbes Presbyterian Church 1911-1926 is located in Collections.

Éléments associés

Accroissements

No accruals expected

Désignations alphanumériques

Accession numbers: 2000.30, 2003.14, 2004.14

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

0147

Identifiant du service d'archives

South Peace Regional Archives

Règles ou conventions

Niveau de détail

Moyen

Langue de la description

  • anglais

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés