Fonds ATH-TA - Town of Athabasca fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Town of Athabasca fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description



Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

40 cm of textual records. - 44 maps. - 1 microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1911 to present)

Administrative history

In the spring of 1874, in support of the fur trade, a Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) scout surveyed the terrain between Fort Edmonton and the elbow of the Athabasca River, 100 miles to the north, to assess an alternative route to Lesser Slave Lake. Chief Factor Richard Hardisty reported the results of this preliminary survey to his superior, Donald Smith at Fort Garry, indicating that a passable road could be made. It was completed by 1877 and the Athabasca Landing Trail became the main route to the Peace Country. In 1877, the HBC built a log storage shed which doubled as a temporary dwelling and the elbow became known as Athabasca Landing. In 1882, steamboat captain Louisson Fosseneuve demonstrated that the Athabasca river rapids north of Pelican Portage could be navigated by scow and portage. Each spring while the river thawed, Cree and Métis labourers were hired at the Landing to construct scows to transport goods down the Athabasca River to Ft McMurray. European and Métis crews also piloted steamboats between Lesser Slave Lake and Athabasca Landing. The HBC built a retail store, warehouse, and factor’s residence in 1886-87. By Municipal Amendment Ordinance, 1901, the Town of Athabasca Landing was incorporated by Proclamation on September 19, 1911. The first Canadian Northern Railway train from Edmonton arrived on May 25, 1912 and a class B train station was completed by December, 1912. The word Landing was officially deleted from the name of the town on August 5, 1913.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of i a list of mayors and councillors from 1905-1955; microfilmed council minutes from Aug, 1912 to Feb. 1913, Finance Committee minutes from Dec. 1913 to Feb. 1914, and Town minutes and records when the town was under an administrator May 1921 to April 1926; a statement of town assets and liabilities for 1913 to 1916; a 1913 Building By-Law; 85.75, the 1919 agreement with A.F.A.Coyne and Co. of London, England to supply natural gas to the Town of Athabasca; minutes of the Town of Athabasca, correspondence, financial statements, briefs and reports, town census (1951-1964,1983,1985), financial records, and taxation records; Court of Revision minutes for 1914-1944; 1938 and 1943 information on the Union of Alberta Municipalities; a 1952 survey by the Department of Economic Affairs; the 1965, 1981 and 1991 General Plans; 1958 and 1980's promotional material; 1986 75th anniversary logo; maps of river lot plans, subdivisions: including East Heights, Glenora and Stanley Park; 1912 cemetery plan; Engineering Department 1914 plans for waterworks system and sewers, sidewalks; Provincial Planning Board maps of Athabasca from the 1980's; 1980 and 1994 Land Use Bylaws, 1993 Impact Assessment on Economic Activity in Athabasca, Boyle and Lac La Biche; 1996 Area Redevelopment Plan, (revised 2019), flyer publicizing meeting to oppose By-Law 7-98, History of CN Lands Purchase ,By-Law 98-7, Proposed amendment to the Direct Control District

Notes area

Physical condition


Immediate source of acquisition

It is unclear how the archives acquired part of the fonds . Some records were donated by Family and Community Support Services in 1989, Jessie Rollings in 1987, Bob Tannas purchased item 87.50 and donated an item in 2002, Marilyn Mol donated in 1996 and 1998, and Peter Driedger in 1997.


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Some items are available for download.

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Inventories are available

Associated materials

Related materials


General note

Some records of the Town were destroyed in a fire on August 5, 1913. Map# 116 shows the main trail and the east and west trails into Athabasca. The west trail became known as the Whiskey Trail. 85.22 (FFC & B0X 3), 85.75, 85.115, 85.139 ( Map #3), 85.140 (Map #4), 85.154 (Map #18), 85.155 (Map #19), 85.157 (Map #21), 85.160 - 85.176 ( Maps #24-40), 85.179 (Map #43), 85.181 (Map #45), 85.183-85.185 (Maps #47-49), 85.188-85.192 (Maps #52-56), 85.196-85.198( Maps #60-62), 85.206 (Map #70), 85.208 (Map #72), 85.216, 85.221 (Map #73), 87.06, 87.50, 87.71, 88.19 (Maps #111, 112, 116), 89.01 (microfilm), 89.08, 89.11 (Map #118), 89.23 (BOX 24 Files 116-120,122, Maps #124,125,128); 89.38, 96.30, 97.12 blank letterhead, 97.23 ( Files 1,4,5), 04.11/1; textual materials, 98.35, flyer by-law, history, 98.23, Area Redevelopment Plan

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Map# 116 shows the main trail and the east and west trails into Athabasca. The west trail became known as the Whiskey Trail.Record No. 85.22 (FFC & B0X 3), 85.75, 85.115, 85.139( Map# 3), 85.140 (Map# 4), 85.154 (Map# 18), 85.155 (Map# 19), 85.157 (Map# 21), 85.160 - 85.176 ( Maps# 24-40), 85.179 (Map# 43), 85.181 (Map# 45), 85.183-85.185 (Maps# 47-49), 85.188-85.192 (Maps# 52-56), 85.196-85.198( Maps# 60-62), 85.206 (Map# 70), 85.208 (Map# 72), 85.216, 85.221 (Map# 73), 87.06, 87.50, 87.71, 88.19 (Maps# 111, 112, 116), 89.01 (microfilm), 89.08, 89.11 (Map# 118), 89.23 (BOX 24 Files 116-120,122, Maps# 124,125,128); 89.38, 96.30, 97.12 (blank letterhead with Peter Krawec photo for header)97.23, 98.35

Institution identifier


Rules or conventions

Level of detail


Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres