Fonds ccg-2069 - Town of Bowness fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Town of Bowness fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ccg ccg-2069

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

5.0 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Town of Bowness began in 1911 as a hamlet in the rural municipality of Springbank. It was known as "Bowness", "Bowness Subdivision", and the "hamlet of Bowness", and at one time was known as "Critchley". The community owes its origins to the pre-World War 1914-1918 Calgary real estate boom, which fostered uncontrolled subdivision development. To develop his land northwest of the city as a residential subdivision, promoter John Hextall entered into an agreement with the City of Calgary in 1911. The City built a street car line to the town site, and in exchange, Hextall granted The City title to the river-island known as Bowness Park. The boom quickly ended and most property reverted to acreage. Bowness grew slowly until 1946, when under the Soldier's Settlement Fund forty-eight new homes were built and occupied. Two years later, on 1948 January 2, the Village of Bowness was incorporated. Functions of government devolved on the Village Council from the Provincial Government through the Town and Village Act. Council was compromised of three Councilors, elected at large, who annually chose a Mayor and Deputy Mayor from among themselves. The nuclei of Departments were created immediately, with each Councilor responsible for different departments. In the Council's first year, positions created were Assessor, Auditor, Building Inspector, Garbage Collector, Poundkeeper, Secretary-Treasurer, who in the ensuing years. The Council was assisted by the Secretary-Treasurer, who in the early years carried out much of the actual work of government, and by the various boards, commissions and committees created by resolution of by-law. For more information regarding the Town of Bowness administrative history, please link to the City of Calgary Archives homepage and click on the "fonds level descriptions" link.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of by-laws, council minutes, agreements, development policies, assessment records, administrative files, building plans and specifications of buildings. When the Town was annexed each City of Calgary Department was incrusted to examine the Town's records and to incorporate the appropriate records into the Department records. The bulk of the Bowness municipal records were taken over by the Finance Department. Although they appear to have been largely unaltered, some files contain correspondence and other documents dated after the Town was annexed on 1964 August 15, indicating that they were used an updated by City of Calgary employees for a few weeks following the annexation. By-laws, council minutes, voters' lists and assessment cards were closed records at the time of annexation, and were unaltered by City of Calgary employees after the 1964 annexation. Series I: Consists of by-laws. Series II: Consists of council minutes. Series III: Consists of the Secretary Treasurer's files, which include correspondence, memoranda, reports, studies, briefs, receipts and invoices, maps, plans and drawings, and some publications. Series IV: Consists of agreements, draft agreements, and correspondence and other records related to agreements. Series V: Consists of assessment cards, assessment and tax rolls, tax arrears lists, and other records related to assessment, taxation, and other financial matters. Series VI: Consists of building specification and plans.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were transferred directly from the Town of Bowness.

Arrangement

Chronological

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

In accordance with The City of Calgary's policy on Access to Municipal Information, records more than twenty-five years old are available for public use unless otherwise restricted. Records which are less than twenty-five years old are available for public use unless otherwise restricted by legislation. Please see the City of Calgary Archives Policies and Procedures Manual for further infomation regarding access to records.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

An inventory is available at the City of Calgary Archives.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No accruals are expected.

General note

The City of Calgary Archives may have reference material which may be associated to the fonds. All textual records are in closed storage. To view records please contact the City of Calgary Archives.<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres