Fonds 0110 - Twilight Ladies Softball Team fonds

Twilight Ladies' Softball Team 1940

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Twilight Ladies Softball Team fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0110

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1937-1949 (Creation)
    Creator
    Twilight Ladies Softball Team fonds

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph
1 page of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1937-1949)

Administrative history

In 1928 several families with school age children moved into the area 6.5 miles north-east of Grande Prairie. Kleskun Lake School was too far north and Five Mile Creek to the south was full to capacity. A new school district was formed and a new school named Twilight was opened January 1, 1930. One of the popular school activities was softball and the children became quite good at it. So good in fact, that in 1937, a competitive ladies softball team came to life. The girls financed their equipment by picking raspberries which they traded to Porteous Hardware for bats and balls. By 1939, Mr. Gerald Carveth, an ex-baseball player living in the district, was invited to coach the team. Twilight was a very small district so girls from Kleskun Lake and Five Mile Creek were needed to fill the roster and provide extra strength. Grande Prairie, Wembley and Lake Saskatoon were the competition. The Reynolds Challenge was the trophy. Wembley won the Reynolds Cup in 1937 and 1938. Reynolds Tobacco donated the cup in 1937 after G.V. Carveth met Mr. Reynolds on a flight to Toronto, and Mr. Reynolds offered the cup after hearing about the team. With Betty Carveth and Elva Evans pitching and Emily Marek catching and nine other girls for fielding support, Twilight won the cup for their first time in 1939. Twilight ladies went on to win the Reynolds Cup consecutively until 1944 when there was no room on the pedestal for more crests. From the season opener in 1939 until August, 1942, the Twilight Ladies Softball team had won 41 cosecutive games and held supremacy over teams from Grande Prairie, Dawson Creek, Spirit River, Rycroft, and Peace River. Mr. Caveth and Mr. Wendt supplied gas for transportation to the games. At Army Week, 1942, at "D" Company Armories in Grande Prairie, Twilight was defeated by Halcourt by a score of 8 to 7, thus terminating their long string of victories. The team was considerably weakened in 1943 by ace pitcher Betty Carveth going to the Edmonton Walkrites team and skilled catcher Emily Marek going into the Army, plus other girls moving on to jobs or marriage. However, the 1946 team records show Twi; ight winning 24 of the 30 games they played under the coaching of Mr. Herman Wendt. The team disbanded after the 1949 season, completing 12 years of successful Twilight Ladies Softball. Twilight School closed in 1950 and the children were bussed to Grande Prairie under new school division regulations.

Custodial history

The records were collected by Eleanor (Oatway)Harrison and donated to the archives June 13, 2003.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of a photograph of the Twilight Ladies Softball Team , 1940, and 1 page recording the team's history.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The records were collected by Eleanor (Oatway)Harrison and donated to the archives June 13, 2003.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

The Reynolds Cup is located in the Grande Prairie Museum

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession number: 2003.44

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0110

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres