Fonds 0064 - Village of Clairmont fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Village of Clairmont fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0064

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1935-1945 (Creation)
    Creator
    Village of Clairmont

Physical description area

Physical description

2 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1917-1945)

Administrative history

The Village of Clairmont was incorporated as a village in 1917. Crofton Cady was the first reeve, Mr. Mashburn a Councilor, and W. Coblentz the Secretary-Treasurer of the first council. Fire protection, police protection, road maintenance and animal control were their first concerns. Lack of paid taxes and problems with un-trained staff made governing the village difficult, but by 1935, Clairmont's affairs were in order. During its tenure as a village, the residents of Clairmont were able to build a park and sports grounds, a curling rink, a skating rink and a tennis court, as well as maintain the municipal services. By 1945, however, population had decreased and Clairmont reverted to the status of hamlet with the Municipal District of Grande Prairie No. 127 in authority.

Custodial history

Records were passed on to the County of Grande Prairie when Clairmont reverted to hamlet status in 1945, and were deposited on loan with the Provincial Archives in 1970. The records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archival by permanent donation in 2000.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of minutes from 1935-1945, including accounts, taxes and tax appeal records, and financial statements for 1944 and 1945.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were passed on to the County of Grande Prairie when Clairmont reverted to hamlet status in 1945, and were deposited on loan with the Provincial Archives in 1970. The records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archival by permanent donation in 2000.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

An aerial photograph of Clairmont ca. 1978 is included in the County of Grande Prairie photograph collection.

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession number: 2000.39

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0064

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres