West Zion Mennonite Church (Carstairs, Alta.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

West Zion Mennonite Church (Carstairs, Alta.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The first Mennonite to settle in the Carstairs-Didsbury area of Alberta was Andrew Weber, who came from Ontario in 1894. The West Zion Mennonite Church began services and formally organized in 1901 and is located near Carstairs. Israel R. Shantz is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation has been affiliated with the Northwest Mennonite Conference (1903-) and the Mennonite Church (1903-2003). The language of worship is English. The congregation originated through colonization of Alberta from Ontario, but was unusual for its time, as half the membership in the 1950s was of British descent. Ministers who served prior to 1960 included Israel R. Shantz, Amos Weber, Moses H. Schmitt, Noah R. Weber, Henry Weber, Allan Good, Norman Buschert, Alvin Steckly, Abe Reist, Ezra Stauffer, Linford Hackman, Henry J. Harder and Gordon Buschert.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

menn

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places