Title and statement of responsibility area
Women of Unifarm Beaverlodge Local 107 fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Women of Unifarm Beaverlodge Local 107
Physical description area
19.5 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Women of Unifarm is an auxiliary organization to the United Farmers of Alberta. Originally called the Farm Women’s Union of Alberta, the name changed to the Women of Unifarm in 1970. The Beaverlodge Local #107 has an unknown start date, but they were active in the community as early as 1955. The minutes highlight that the organization planned community suppers, sponsored local events such as trophies for the 4-H clubs, and gave money and blankets to families who were “burned out” of their homes. The ladies attended monthly meetings that were held in member’s homes and made efforts to send delegates to the annual convention in Edmonton. Apparently they sometimes met jointly with the men’s organization the UFA, as at one meeting the ladies made note that the men were absent on account of a hockey game in Hythe. The ladies often welcomed guest speakers at their meetings to give talks on a variety of subjects such as parenting, farming and homemaking.
Committee members listed in 1956 roll call are Ruth Albright Pat Carrell, Ellen Graff, Daisy Brown, Mary Sylvaniuk, Mary Nychka, Ruth Bristow, Kathy Harcourt, Doris Harris, Ruth Johnson, Mrs. Longson, Olive McNab, Alice McGuffin, L. Jewitt, E. Hotte, Mrs. Cleland, Mrs. Lowe, Mrs. McLean, Mrs. Farnquist, A. Hotte, Mrs. Hauger, Mrs. Baird, Mrs. Bauman, Annie Lowe and Isabella Dewar.
The records were preserved by Bettly Longson, secretary of the Women of Unifarm Beaverlodge Local 107. They were deposited in South Peace Regional Archives by her son, Dalton Longson, in 2011.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of records pertaining to the Beaverlodge Local of the Women of Unifarm from 1958-1980. They include minutes, financial records, correspondence, material from conventions, and pamphlets produced by the Women of Unifarm.
There was no discernable original order in the records when they arrived. Order was imposed in them by the archivist based on the content of the records.
Immediate source of acquisition
These records were donated to South Peace Regional Archives by Dalton Longson on November 22, 2011.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A finding aid is available at http://southpeacearchives.org/finding-aids/fonds-546-women-unifarm-beaverlodge-local-107/
No accruals are expected.
This fonds has been identified as having Indigenous related content. Researchers may encounter language that is outdated and offensive. To learn more about Indigenous records at the South Peace Regional Archives please see our guide: https://southpeacearchives.org/indigenousrecords/
Accession number 2011.72
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Language of description