Fonds luth-2100 - Zion Lutheran Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Zion Lutheran Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

PAA luth-2100

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1934-1987 (Creation)
    Creator
    Zion Lutheran Church (Surrey/Cloverdale, British Columbia)

Physical description area

Physical description

4 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Missionary work for the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod in the Fraser Valley area began in 1930 under Rev. Haake. Zion Lutheran Church was organized in January 1934 just before Rev. Haake was replaced by Rev. Holtz who served the missions until 1940. The congregation was actually re-organized in 1938 but did not adopt its constitution until 1954. In the meantime activities continued including the purchase of lots for a building in 1944 and the completion of construction and dedication of the first church building in 1947 under the direction of Pastor A. Fenske. In 1952 a new pastor, Rev. Lester H. Gierach, came to the area and started a Christian Day School which had four classrooms by 1958. It was dedicated in 1959 and the following year it also became the place of worship when the congregation sold their old church building. Under the direction of Pastor L.E. Jones a new hall was built in 1969 and dedicated in 1970. The work of the congregation then took on a new focus, assisting with seniors' housing, and in 1972 the Zion Park Manor was opened. In 1980 Principal E. Nast called for an extension of the school and a new facility for both church and school was planned. In 1984 a new Worship and Fellowship Centre was dedicated. The congregation joined the newly formed Lutheran Church-Canada synod in 1988.

Custodial history

The records were deposited with the Lutheran Historical Institute by the congregation and pastor and the Missions Department of the Alberta-British Columbia District of Lutheran Church-Canada.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of the Constitution (1954,1971); correspondence re: call of candidate; Newsletters (1969-1987); Bulletins (1968-1982); Dedication (1979, 1983, 1986); Anniversary booklet church and school (1934-1974); Invitation to Centennial Dinner; brief history; notes for history of Cloverdale from E. Schultz collection; School: brochure, dedication booklet, anniversary (25th) and correspondence.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • Material is in English and German.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access. Copyright restrictions apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available.

Associated materials

Lutheran Church-Canada, Alberta British Columbia District fonds (3000)

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

General note

Record No. 90<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area